Sunday, February 18, 2007

Kovalam Blues

I'm not sure I like it here.

Sure its sunny and stuff but it's just so damn touristy.

I saw a holiday rep today... with name badge, uniform and clipboard... that's when I realised that this place is not that far removed from benidorm or costa del what ever... yeah, i'm being elitist I know, but when you come to india you expect to immerse yourself in it's culture not some diluted package deal hotspot. Our fault I suppose for not having planned ahead a little better.

It turns out in Goa there's a festival on at the moment, a kind of 'mardis gras' type thang - it's because of this that we struggled, neigh failed, to get a train to to area... hence why we opted to come here to Kovalum.

Perhaps my melancholy is due to being ill for the last few days... I mean, the setting here IS really nice. Rocky headlands, sandy beaches, clear blue sea, good surf - I can't fault that - it's just that there seems to be no soul to the place, it's missing something that I can't quite put my finger on... which is a shame.

There is some light though.

I got up uber early the other day (by mistake, I thought my watch said 10.20am when in reality it was 7am!) so I figured, hell I'm up I may as well go for a stroll along the beach before the sun rises fully... and I came across a turtle, ambling it
s way back to the sea... which was cute.

Then there's the local fishermen - it's fascinating watching them set to putting their nets out - it's an extraordinary scene - they kind of use these huge nets on ropes that they take out into the bay on boats, but the leave behind a troop of men on the shore who hold each end of the ropes... then they drop the nets in the water a good 500meters out and then a hawl the nets in again... all of this takes a good hour or so to complete... for not many fish - but it was interesting to see nevertheless.

We've decided we're gonna try and walk along the coast tomorrow - get away from all the package holiday crowd. I'm sure it's great for them - but not quite what we had in mind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah looks a terrible place to be, im sure old simon there wishes he was back in the meat factory with us lot in the rain in coventry and i bet that sea is freezing as well aint it :( any way have fun from the sawman.

Anonymous said...

So. This is what a Blog is?? Cool. I am so far behind the times. Loose the tourists man! C'mon the locals! This man wants authenticity. I feel your pain brother... I am in Florida-- Less chance of seeing culture than a club in Ibiza...

All the best you sexy thang!

Gordon

Anonymous said...

Hi guys!

Glad to hear you all doing well. Sorry to hear that other critters are spoiling your fun, but hey - where there's a beaten path there are watering holes..

Rube's bday today so we've been having a wild time in the Funky Monkey's jungle with 12 of his friends. Absolutely knackered, but he's had a great day. So excited I thought his brain was going to pop!

Keep us posted. And have a drink on us, you work-shy blags.

George, Jake, Reuben and Louis x